Guidelines for trained practitioners
To ensure the continued integrity and success of the Story Massage Programme we ask trained practitioners to follow these simple guidelines for the use of the programme. These guidelines can be downloaded as a PDF here: Story Massage Guidelines
- The Story Massage Programme should always be shared with respect for others. Practitioners must follow the advice offered on the training course by Mary Atkinson and Sandra Hooper for sharing safe and positive touch.
- The Story Massage Programme is the intellectual property of Mary Atkinson and Sandra Hooper who hold the copyright for the ten Story Massage strokes. The symbols and names of the strokes cannot be used in any published or downloadable material for sale to the public.
- There only two trainers in the programme – Mary Atkinson and Sandra Hooper. No other practitioners are qualified or insured to train others in using the programme. The word ‘training’ should not be used in any promotion or information unless it refers to training offered by Mary or Sandra. Any requests for training can be referred to the Story Massage Programme website.
- It is the responsibility of the individual practitioner to ensure their insurance offers suitable cover for their intended use of the programme.
- Trained practitioners (with insurance in place where necessary) are able to run classes, clubs and introductory sessions for parents, carers and families to encourage them to use the programme in their own homes.
- Trained practitioners are able to run introductory workshops for colleagues to demonstrate the use of the programme and to use it in a limited way under the guidance of a fully trained practitioner. The correct use of the programme is integral to its continued success. It is important to clarify to participants that this is not a training session. Anyone wishing to become fully trained should email the Story Massage team.
- Trained practitioners are able to offer short introductory sessions using a maximum of 4 strokes (e.g. at conferences or networking events) to encourage participants to find out more about the programme and to use it their own homes. It is important to clarify that participants are not trained to use the programme within their work. Anyone wishing to become fully trained should email the Story Massage team.
- The Story Massage Programme logo (blue with two white hands) is solely for the use of founders Mary Atkinson and Sandra Hooper. An alternative complimentary logo (for use by trained practitioners) can be obtained for use on leaflets, social media and any promotion. Centre of Excellence Award Winners and Story Massage Instructors are sent a special logo for their sole use.
- Practitioners must adhere to all policies (including touch policies) and protocols in place within the particular setting they are working or volunteering. Therapists must adhere to the Code of Conduct and Professional Practice of their own professional organisation.
- Mary Atkinson and Sandra Hooper respectfully request that, where possible, any articles written about the programme are emailed to them for approval.